SCG and its programs and staff have been recognised on numerous occasions.
- SCG received the 2013 Division C Weeds Management Award in the Local Government NSW for the Boneseed Eradication project.
- SCG's nomination of Elizabeth Dixon of Shoalhaven City Council was successful, seeing Elizabeth take out the prestigious Louise Petchell Memorial Award which recognises the individual achievements of a council staff member or elected Councillor in the field of sustainability.
- SCG’s Business Treading Lightly Program received the 2010 National Economic Development Australia Award - Environmental Economic Innovation Category, recognising the efforts of staff and the impact of the Program across the region.
- The SCG’s Illawarra Carer Respite and Carelink Centre was recognised in 2010 by the NSW State Government with a Local Carer Award for the contribution of its staff both at work and at home.
- The SCG Sea Spurge Eradication Program won a Highly Commended Award in the LGSA 2009-10 Environment Awards - Weeds Management Category.
- SCG won a 2010 Public Sector Sustainability Award - Achievement, for its Business Treading Lightly Program for integrating environmental management into planning, operations and service delivery.
- The Board of SCG signed a Statement of Intent on Climate Change in May 2009, for which it was widely acclaimed for leadership.
- The Resource Recovery Program Manager presented papers at 2 conferences/forums: Waste 2009 Coffs Harbour Conference “With Regional AWT Expect the Unexpected” and Queensland Treasury and Local Government Infrastructure Services Local Government Alternate Waste technology Forum “Regional Collaboration and AWTs”.
- At the 2009 15th NSW Biennial Weeds Conference in Narrabri, IDNWA Inspector/Operator, Mr Tony Martin was the winner of NSW Buerkner Award for control of weeds in NSW.
- The IDNWA Chief Weeds Officer, David Pomery, was a finalist for the Stephenson Award for his outstanding contriution to Planning and co-ordinating weed management programs in NSW in both 2007 and 2009.
- The Executive Officer was asked to present the Rod Murdoch Memorial Award at the 2008 Tourism Industry Council Conference at Darling Harbour. The Award Winner was the Tourism Manager at Wingecarribee Council, Steve Rosa.
- The SCG Land Management Program was awarded a 2007 Environs Australia LG Sustainability Leadership Award - Certificate of Achievement.
- The SCG Land Management Program received an Envrionmental Education Award in the 2006/2007 LGSA Excellence in Environment Awards - Highly Commended Division C for the Small farms Network
- Southern Councils Group was awarded a "Commended" for the Planning & Policy Category of the 2004 Sustainable Water Challenge
As the Illawarra Region of Councils, the organisation received a number of Awards or recognition also. Most notable of these was a 1996 National Award for Innovation in Local Government for regional and economic development.